eportfolio

Page based template

Biography

I was born in North Vancouver. I lived with my parents and little sister. My first memories are of being busy and active. I was usually at

My first international tournament.

my parent’s martial arts club, North Shore Tae-Kwon-Do, or dancing with Anna Wyman. I started competing in Tae-Kwon-Do when I was 3 and had my first international tournament when I was 5. I remember that year, though. I was sitting with my Granny watching the Olympics and I saw a gymnast do the most amazing floor routine. I decided in that instant that I wanted to learn how to move like her. I quit Tae-Kwon-Do and started taking gymnastics. I trained competitively at  Flicka and started coaching recreational gymnastics when I was 12. I was devastated when I got too tall to compete and decided to replace gymnastics with Tae-Kwon-Do. I missed the gym so much that I continued coaching gymnastics as a level 1 coach through high school. I also took on the role of Birthday Party Coordinator.

My family moved around a lot and sports were my security, but I worked hard in school. I graduated from the Late French Immersion program – grades 6 – 12 – where I also competed provincially in the Concours D’Art Oratoire competitions. For extra credit, I volunteered

Special Olympics swim team.

as a Teen Talk Line Councillor, a Special Olympics coach, and for the Nanaimo Children’s festival.

After graduation, I got serious about Tae-Kwon-Do training. I worked multiple jobs and coached in exchange for classes. I was already a level 3 Tae-Kwon-Do instructor and an international judge and referee. I earned my place on Team Canada and traveled for tournaments often. In 2006, I missed the Olympics by one qualifying tournament. I decided to quit training and start on a new career path. I wanted to be a school teacher, and I wanted a family.

I have two children now and they are my world – like any parent would feel about their children. A few years ago, I had the chance to go back to Tae-Kwon-Do. I was offered a large monthly salary to open a school for my old coach, train, and compete again. As much as I miss the sport and the energy of being in a room with elite athletes, I had my turn and it was a good one. It’s my kids’ turn to shine now. If I worked from 2:00 – 10:00 every evening and trained myself every morning, I would never get to see them. Given the choice, I felt this option would not be the best for my family. Instead, I continued my education. I have earned a certificate in Community and School Support, and a Bachelor of Arts degree. I am currently working on my Bachelor of Education degree and taking some Master of Education classes through the summer months.

© 2024 eportfolio